No squad is complete without Pegasus, at least in my opinion. I have always loved the flying horse; a particular favourite within Greek mythology. You probably don’t need to know that I collected as many pictures, trinkets, and stories as I could growing up. I dreamt Pegasus came to whisk me away to places unknown – it was no knight in shining armour for me, I was happy with his stallion, and more interested in travelling to other worlds. Mostly. Okay that’s officially too much information!
So, briefly, in Greek mythology, Pegasus is the offspring of Poseidon and Medusa. It is said that he was born when Medusa was decapitated by Perseus. Much is written about his ascent to heaven, and his adventures. He was transformed into the constellation Pegasus by Zeus.
- Pegasus is the mascot for TriStar Pictures, and also appears as the logo or mascot for many other organisations.
- He features in a number of films including; Fantasia; Hercules, and Clash of the Titans (both versions.)
- In Stargate Atlantis, Pegasus is a galaxy.
- Battlestar Pegasus was included in both versions of Battlestar Galactica.
- In Star Trek: The Next Generation, Pegasus was a starship – the USS Pegasus.
- Pegasus had a regular slot in the cartoon The Mighty Hercules.
- In the Magna and Anime, Saint Seiya, Pegasus is a recurring motif.
- One of the characters, Kira, from the Broadway production of Xanadu, rides on Pegasus to Mount Olympus.
- Pegasus is frequently mentioned in Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. He appears in the final book, The Blood of Olympus.
- Video games such as Age of Mythology; Hercules: Battle With The Gods, and God of War II all include a representation of Pegasus.
As always, this is just a flavour of how this mythical creature is portrayed. So, now it’s over to you. What is your favourite representation of Pegasus? Do you have any interesting stories to share? Which creature in Greek mythology is your favourite?
Thanks for stopping by. Until next time.